Sunday, October 09, 2005

"He's Just Not That Into You" - but am I into this stupid book?

Yes, I finally read it. Had to force myself, really, because I usually run away from that which has become a cultural phenomenon. It has saved me a lot of grief, especially since I missed out on the macarena, jelly shoes, and heroin addiction. Seems like everyone I've been talking to eventually brings it up and quotes from it excessively, married women included. So, now I have joined the ranks of those who have indulged in this guilty pleasure.

Unfortunately, I have nothing good to report except that every point brought up in this book is common sense. For instance: Married guys aren't that into you. If he breaks up and makes up with you constantly, he's not that into you. If he wants to have sex with you but doesn't want to be your boyfriend, he's just not that into you. Oh, come on now. For those of us too intelligent to fall for the bullcrap, this is not news. I fear that the women that this book was meant to help are beyond its help already. If she's "dating" married men, then she doesn't care what this book has to say. She's already locked into her own dreamworld. If she's allowing her boyfriend to yo-yo back into and back out of her life, she's not going to care.

Of course, this isn't set in stone, since some people do change stupid behaviors when they hear a wakeup call. Some might even hear that clarion call in the pages of this book. I must say, though, that I doubt it's more than a trendy conversation piece. The author was merely a writer for Sex and the City with no therapy degree, and he's already married himself. After reading his credentials, I wondered, why does this guy feel that he has the power to advise anyone? Of course, I'm doing the same here on my lil blog. ;)

2 Comments:

Blogger The Humanity Critic said...

I figured, especially when I saw the author talk about it on Oprah, that the contents were simple common sense stuff.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Deonna said...

Gah. I should have figured that this book would be a hot Oprah discussion. Mindless printed poop for the masses, every page of it.

BTW, thanks for coming! I love your blog. It's highly intelligent and fun.

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home