Saturday, October 08, 2005

Herman's Gone

Herman wasn't family. He was, simply, a great friend. He was full of life, just about the funniest human I've ever encountered. And intelligent? Why, as an attorney, Herman Lester won many cases for the little guy, taking on big coal mining companies and multinational corporations. When our firms worked together on one such case, Herman and I got to know each other and appreciated each other's bizarre sense of humor. When Mac and I were getting ready to get married, Herman bought us an expensive bottle of champagne and laughed when I asked if I would get arrested for giving liquor to a 19-year-old. Whenever a photo op presented itself, Mr. Lester made certain that I was waved into it as well. We laughed together, ate lunch together, traveled together in the very plane that he died in. Unfortunately, after a trip to his 17-year-old son's golf tournament, Herman, his wife, and his son crashed while trying to land in inclement weather.

I'm going to miss you, Herman. You were one of the good ones. We will all miss you, and society as a whole has lost.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home