Saturday, January 07, 2006

Naming Children. Badly.

I joined a baby naming site recently. Yep, they actually have those. They consist of large groups of women peppered with a few men who gather together to rate and debate potential names for babies.

One is not allowed to have a strong opinion on a baby naming site. If you do not like the name in question, you are supposed to say "nms", which means "not my style." If you really hate the name, you can pump that up to "nmsaa" (not my style at all). If you express a really strong opinion at all, then you are a troll or a hateful, evil, fat bitch with no sex life. I kid you not. I have actually seen women say this to other strangers on the internet. I actually lurk instead of responding, mainly because I have no desire to be torn apart by the wolves that babynaming women seem to become.

But, I digress. One particular name that was mentioned over and over is actually what I want to discuss today. The name? Nevaeh. If you have never heard of Nevaeh, some say it is pronounced Nuh-vay, others pronounce it Nuh-vay-uh, and 90% pronounce it "Nevaeh-it's-heaven-spelled-backwards." Yes, it's heaven spelled in reverse.

The name Heaven is also popular itself lately, but, for those mothers who don't want to give their daughter a premade stripper name, Nevaeh is the alternative. Never mind that this begins a lifelong tradition of the following conversation:

Stranger: Hi, my name is .
Nevaeh: I'm Nevaeh. It's-heaven-spelled-backwards.
Stranger: Oh.

Hilariously, most mothers who brag about giving their daughters this abomination always follow it up with, "Everybody loves her name." As if strangers would tell you that your baby's name sucks. Well, strangers other than me. If indeed a fellow poster tells one of these idiots that the name is stupid, the reply is invariably, "Why do you want to pick on my daughter? You're hateful and mean and she's a sparkly purple princess who will never grow up!!!1!!!" The 1 is in there because, dammit, there are always 1s in there. I kid you not.

I suppose it is your business what you want to name your child. I suppose it is okay if you want to name your daughters something that assumes they will always be tiny, perfect, beautiful cheerleaders. However, stop to consider, please, general populace, that little Nevaeh will grow up. I promise. And she may not call you when you're in the rest home if you saddle her with such a suck-ass name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home